Re: [Amps] 220V wiring: Was Question about safety ground connection

To: Gudguyham@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 220V wiring: Was Question about safety ground connection
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 04:15:25 -0800
On Nov 15, 2005, at 5:20 PM, Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/15/2005 6:03:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> lists@w1nr.net writes:
>
> Your  safest bet is to run 4 conductor wire and outlets.

However, in the event that some outside force* manages to sever both
the safety-ground wire as well as the neutral wire, a 5-wire system
with two safety ground wires would be safer.

* - such as the sky falling -

> All new ranges  and
> dryer circuits must be 4 wire.  As far as I am concerned, all new
> amplifier
> circuits should be too.

Having zero-I flowing in two wires is better than having zero-I flowing
in one-wire?

> Mike,  W1NR
>

> Many amps like an Ameritron AL-1500 have a 3 prong plug.  2 hots and a
> ground.  It does not require a neutral so you only need a 3 prong
> plug.  Any
> appliance that requires 120/240 volts will require a 4 prong  plug as
> you say.  But
> not all amps require 4 prongs.  However it is  good to have the extra
> wire in
> the box if you come across an amp that does need  the neutral.

Sound advice