Re: [Amps] 220V wiring: Was Question about safety ground connection

To: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 220V wiring: Was Question about safety ground connection
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:52:35 -0800
At 08:07 AM 11/17/2005, Paul Christensen wrote:

>But the designers of the older amps seem to have had an issue with
>the use of 120VAC fans and/or blowers when the amp was designed to
>be operated from either 120VAC or 240VAC.

If I were writing the NEC, I would not allow that type of 120/240
equipment. Make it one or the other and require a separate step-up or
step-down transformer as appropriate, properly grounded of course.
More expensive but safer.

An alternative would be to use one of the newer switching-type power
supplies that runs from a wide range of voltages without the need to
change taps. Many newer appliances use that type of power supply and
they seem to work well. Your computer probably has one right now.

As I said before, I'm not saying we should rip out all the old stuff
and start from scratch. Just be aware of the possible hazards in
existing designs and don't make the same mistakes again.

73, Bill W6WRT