Re: [Amps] hit a wall on bi-directional couplers

To: Dan Sawyer <dansawyer@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] hit a wall on bi-directional couplers
From: "m.ford" <k1ern@direcway.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:57:57 -0500
From: "Dan Sawyer" <dansawyer@earthlink.net>
To: "amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2005 8:58 PM
Subject: [Amps] hit a wall on bi-directional couplers

> All,
>
> I have hit a wall on bidirectional couplers for HF. I have breadboarded
> the bi-directional portion of the following attached bi-directional
> coupler circuit. It appears in principal to be the same as the circuit
> in the arrl antenna handbook.

Hello again Dan,
    I have not seen the circuit you refer to in the handbook. My latest
copy is 1977.

> http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/downloads/manuals/PM10DC.pdf

The circuit shown in fig. 1, page 5 looks like a 180 degree hybrid.

> I did not terminate either coupler output, I simply sampled them for
> voltage with a high impedance scope probe.

Hybrids are difficult to construct. Symmetry is a must.
It is wise to use attenuators on the output ports when making
measurements with them.

   The net net is there is no
> difference between the outputs and they are both high, about 3 db down
> from the input.

If you terminate port A and feed port B you have a 2 way power divider
that will give you equal outputs at D and C  and they will be 3db down.
Plus insertion loss.

   I did not use a 'binocular' transformer but used two
> tube types in the same configuration.  I was very careful to wind the
> transformers exactly as described in the text.  The feed through is a
> piece of copper wire centered in the transformer by an insulator. The RF
> output is terminated in 50 Ohms.
>
> I would appreciate pointers, advice, links to primers, or links to
> alternatives.  Thanks - Dan kb0qil

If what you are really looking for is a bi directional coupler for your
vector voltmeter I would suggest a Model CH-130 made by ANZAC.
The coupling is 30db but it will handle 500 watts and covers the entire hf band.
Must be one out there somewhere.

Mike k1ern