Re: [Amps] 2 kW amp project

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 2 kW amp project
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:07:36 +0000

Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF] wrote:
> I'm building a 1KW 144MHz amp based on 4xMRF151G and a massive 50V/49A SMPSU
> (again surplus telecom). Total weight is less than 18Kg (all components at
> hand and factored in), 42x45x18cm excluding handles.
> So maybe it's only ~55W/Kg, but more importantly: It's legal max, easily
> portable, and robust enough to bring along for DXpeditions!
..And (a very big 'and') the SMPS means it will deliver full power and
linearity when running from a generator, something that most valve amps
(with cap input psu) fail to do unless the genny is way oversized.

It's great when you can test a setup in the lab and know it will be like
that in the field - my contest station 2m PA has been running 28V/45-50A
dc in since about 1987.

Steve