Re: [Amps] Emailing: hf_millinium

To: lncarman@swbell.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Emailing: hf_millinium
From: HAROLD B MANDEL <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:10:00 -0500
Agreeing wholeheartedly with everyone, I see many here who revel
in amplifiers with analogue meters that display a dip or peak as
a motion-trend, and tuning is a function of watching this movement.

Bar graphs are high-tech looking, but they operate at distinct
threshold levels where the spots in between the individual devices
might be just as important, plus there's a delay.

Add to this the phenomenon I observed where a bar graph display
had erroneous illuminations because of RF feedback caused by
the very tuning process they were indicating.

If I'm tweaking a tetrode amplifier the screen current, plate current
and any grid current movements are a vital point that may just prevent
the amp from going off into oscillation, despite a neutralization
circuit.

I don't think we're going to see a quality box for $3K anymore.

Even surplus junkbox amps that are LL approach this figure
when all the bits are taken into account, much less the tranny,
tube(s) and socket(s).

Hal
W4HBM