Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback

To: <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback
From: "Tom Cathey" <K1JJ@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:25:50 -0500
Hi Gary,

Tnx for the IMD measurement info. Sounds easy enough. Actually I've been
doing a similar thing, but using a recorded voice to play thru the rig and
measure the bandwidth and levels. I will make a setup like that later on, or
one suggested by Bill/LAV.

Anyway, I did a test tonight and measured the RELATIVE levels - no IMD raw
numbers yet. I tested the FT-1000D 10mW output, the barefoot FT-1000D 200W
power amp, and a pair of 3-500Z's.  I used an FT-102, well isolated, as a
receiver with a pad attenuator so that I could set each signal to a
normalized S9+40 over. Each transmit signal was dumped into a Bird dummy
load. The FT-1000D uses an aftermarket 2.8kc ssb TX filter.

I have detailed readings, but here's a rough summary:

When I ran the 3-500Z's at ~1200W out, with S9+40 on freq, the trash was
S9+5 at 3kc up.  At 3.5kc up =S9.    4kc up=S7.   4.5kc up = S3      I could
still hear the trash up 5kc, but not moving the meter.

The FT-1000D barefoot is advertised at -36db IMD for 150W, I believe. This
is running at 100W out:

On freq: S9+40.

3kc up= S8.    3.5kc up=S7    4kc up=S2     5kc up= barely heard anything.
Better.

NOW... the FT-1000D with the low level 10mW output tap:

At 3kc up I could barely hear any trash! At 3.5kc it was totally gone.  I
would estimate it was upwards of -55db++  3rd order assuming the FT-1000D at
100W was -36db.

I did notice that if I ran the drive levels and audio up so that I was
getting the max 10mW out, it did deteriorate the IMD.  Running everything
about 1/2 full level was VERY clean. [~5mW out]  Tuning across the recorded
voice was so sharp it was like hearing a CW note. In contrast, tuning across
the 3-500Z's showed a definate side channel trash that would show up on a
quiet band.

The bottom line is after seeing how clean an ssb signal can be, there is no
doubt that I want to pursue building a -55+ db 3rd order IMD amplifier using
the FT-1000D 10mW output. It appears WELL worth the effort!

73,
Tom, K1JJ