Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback

To: "Tom Cathey" <K1JJ@comcast.net>, <wc6w@juno.com>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 18:06:06 +0100
Neither the 4CX250 nor the 4CX10000 have any DC grid returns,
which would lead to unstable DC operating points to say the least...

To me this looks like drawing errors, maybe in combination with schematic
simplifications to enhance
"readability"

A suitable point to attach a bias feed network could be at the "cold" ends of
the roller coils
in the 4CX250 and 4CX10000 grid circuits.

Also, be prepared to go for some "parasitic hunting" in an amplifier circuit
like this,
as there are no parasitic suppressors or grid loading resistors,
and the screen bypass of the 4CX10000 is shown as a single 0.005 uF capacitor.

It is not incidental that the Collins 208U-10 and HF-8022 used directly
grounded screens in their
amplifier circuits, as it usually makes high-gain class A and AB amplifier
chains very much more "docile".

Early Philips and Telefunken PA's used bypassed screens and filaments quite
similar to this circuit
and could sometimes be quite temperamental.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM