Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback
From: "Tom Cathey" <K1JJ@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:06:49 -0500
> They also say that IM product do not necessarily drop as drive is
> reduced. It can actually be greater at lower power levels than at higher
> power levels. IM products drop way down at one point midway in the power
> range and then go back up again. They show a graph that is derived
> mathematically and say that most tubes follow the graph pretty closely
> to the predicted IM performance ratios of drive to bias amount.

Gary,

Yes, I've read that too, but then I've read the opposite.. That statement
above would make my question about using a chain of GG tubes running at
1/10th reduced ratings a poor idea. I'm a little confused cuz I see it
written sometimes that for very linear operation, sometimes stages run at
1/10th  their power ratings in class A.  Maybe that's for special purpose
receiver high performance preamps or something like that.

Anyone else for comments?