Re: [Amps] NEC-think.

To: r@somis.org, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] NEC-think.
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:56:01 EST

In a message dated 1/5/2006 7:24:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, r@somis.org
writes:

few days  ago I ran into a Ham on 40m who is a licensed electrician
here in  California. so I took the opportunity to ask him why 240v
appliances like  ovens, dryers and water heaters need a ground wire.
His  answer:  To protect people from being shocked by the Neutral  wire.

Obviously he is wrong.  The ground wire (or bond as we call it) is to  bond
all electrical  non current carrying metal back top the electrical  panel so
that if a current carrying wire contacts metal it will trip the breaker  and
therefore someone will not be shocked.