Re: [Amps] NEC-think.

To: "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] NEC-think.
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:29:36 -0600
On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:10:23 -0500, John Popelish wrote:

>If there is actually no load of any kind connected to the neutral and
>that line is dedicated to that appliance (not shared with any other
>loads) then it is effectively an equipment grounding conductor, not a
>neutral.

NO, NO, NO, NO!

A neutral is NEVER permitted to be an equipment grounding conductor. The
neutral is required to be bonded at ONE, AND ONLY ONE, POINT to the
equipment ground (the service entrance in the case of a simple system,
and the secondary of each distribution transformer in the case of more
complex systems).

This is primarily a safety issue, AND it is a NOISE issue. Both are
based on the laws of physics and fundamental circuit theory. And it is
not limited to NEC -- very similar requirements are part of electrical
codes throughout the developed world. In Europe, for example, there are
several common systems, but all have that in common -- a single bond.
The differences relate to WHERE that single bond is located.

See my website for a tutorial on these issues specifically written for
those working in professional audio. There is much in it that is
directly applicable to the current discussion, and to the grounding of
our homes and ham stations.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SurgeXPowerGround.pdf

Jim Brown  K9YC