Re: [Amps] Building or Buying a Tuned Input Network

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Building or Buying a Tuned Input Network
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps080605@w4zt.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 00:14:39 -0500
Bill and the group,

I have not personally put one of Paul's tuned input boards on the air
but my good friend Lawson, W4EMF, has first hand experience with it. His
experience is that putting an Arco compression trimmer in parallel with
the silver mica caps was a good idea, particularly the output (cathode)
C.  It's still not a bad value if someone is willing to take the time
obtaining the silver mica caps, winding the coils and adding the
trimmers. Just having a board with the coils and relays is a big step
forward for most. I did see the board and it's very nice. Paul does nice
work.

I hand made a board of my own (had my own nice 5 amp contact DPDT
relays, Arco trimmers and cores and did essentially the same thing but I
did leave larger pads to allow for the trimmers
<http://gs35b.com/input/index.html>.

Assuming no problems using the LDG tuner, it's sure an easy solution. As
pointed out by others, we still need to determine whether it will hunt
and click and burn the relay contacts with all the switching under
power. I would, at the least, put the equivalent of the 10 meter output
C directly from the cathode to ground.

73, Tony W4ZT