Re: [Amps] What blower?

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] What blower?
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:38:58 -0800 (PST)
I care because if I key my rig and have 100W of friggin' fan noise, it's a
problem.  And I consider it annoying to hear it from other stations as well.
My Henry 3K-A had a fairly quiet blower (by Henry Standards, anyway) but I
didn't like how hot things were getting.  So I replaced it with a real HD
squirrel cage of approximately twice the size.  It stays nice and cool now, but
I've had to move the amp away from my operating position.  It's still too loud,
but I haven't had the time to fab a new top for it that will hold a dryer vent
exactly like you describe yet.  I know guys that have moved their amps into
different rooms because of noisy blowers.  A bit extreme and if you ever
contest, it's impossible (without a remote contolled amp, anyway).

  You're right about the bottom line being about keeping the amp cool, but
hearing a Hoover vacuum in the background is a little excessive.

  Joe, N3JI

gdaught6@stanford.edu wrote:
  SNIP
Some day I will post a long lecture about all the fuss over fan
noise. Short of an ear-splitting siren, who CARES about fan noise?
If the tubes are cool, they are happy. If the tubes are happy, I'm
happy.

If blower noise bothers you, put a really big one outside the shack,
and use dryer exhaust hose or similar to bring the air from the
blower to your amplifier.

I use headphones ALL of the time.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT