Re: [Amps] Pi vs Pi-L

To: "Jim Kearman" <jkearman@att.net>, "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pi vs Pi-L
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 12:37:13 -0500
You will not find any commercial amplifiers or construction articles in the
last 20 years that use Pi only.  Pi-L is the simplest way to go for new
amps.  Ten-Tec uses an L-Pi-L circuit and solid state amps use bandpass
filters.  Low pass filters only attenuate above 30MHz, so are not adequate
to meet the requirements on the lower bands.  High power bandpass filters
are an expensive alternative.

Silver plating of the tank components will help Q and reduce losses as well.

Mike, W1NR