Re: [Amps] Pi vs Pi-L

To: "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>, "peter.voelpel" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pi vs Pi-L
From: "David C. Hallam" <dhallam@rapidsys.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 08:56:14 -0500
If you check in any Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, you will see that
there is very little absolute difference in conductivity between copper and
silver.  There may be positive attributes to silver plating when used in
radio circuits, but an significant decrease in resistance isn't one of them.

BTW - Do you know that during WWII, silver was used for the electrical
wiring in the Hanford, WA plant for the production of plutonium.  Copper was
needed for the war effort and the US Mint had a large quantity of silver.
After the war the wiring was replaced and the silver returned to the Mint.
For the same reason most 1943 5 cent pieces were made of silver rather than
nickel.  After the war, these coins were pulled from circulation.

History lesson for today

73
David
KC2JD