Re: [Amps] Super buy on the Bay!

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Super buy on the Bay!
From: Theo Bellamy <theo.bellamy@spirittelecom.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:20:58 -0500
They look like a tube caddy with knobs, don't they?

Actually, I have converted three of these (D&A Phantom 500's) to "real" ham
amps by ripping out the driver stage and putting a band switched tank in for
80/40/20. They work pretty well for sweep tube amps. I used to make my
living back in the 70's fixing CBs in a little shop on the side of the
Interstate. I told my customers that if they passed their ham test I would
convert their amps for free.

The smaller one that was first mentioned (D&A Maverick 250)has two power
transformers in it. It can be easily converted into a useable 811 amp by
replacing the sweep tubes with some 811A's and rewiring the transformers. It
will even run on 220 vac - unlike the modified Phantom which has three
transformers making 220 operation impossible.

Once they are modified they work pretty well. The older gray ones even have
two meters so you can monitor plate and grid current.

Serious CB'ers would have the ham band tank coils removed and an eleven
meter only circuit installed.

73 Theo K4MO