Re: [Amps] RFI - Small Home Network?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RFI - Small Home Network?
From: Geert Jan de Groot <pe1hzg@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 15:40:39 +0100
> I would like to set up a small home network of 4 to 5 computers
> scattered throughout the house, including 2 in the shack.  I am
> connected to the internet through a cable modem and a PC running
> Smoothwall before I get to this machine.  Should I use CAT5?  Wireless?

In addition to the suggestions already given, if you're using cat5,
suggest you try 10 mbit ethernet (10BASE-T) rather than 100 mbit.

10 mbit ethernet uses manchester encoding and hence only causes
spectrum spikes every 5 Mhz (with sidebands, I know..)
100 mbit ethernet uses a different encoding that causes a lot more
noise all over the band.

Just a suggestion,

Geert Jan