Re: [Amps] RFI - Small Home Network?

To: "Tim Long" <tlong8@earthlink.net>,"Amps Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RFI - Small Home Network?
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 16:10:50 -0500
> Use an 802.11g wireless LAN.

I was never a believer in Wi-Fi for the home, but I am now...

> I used to have CAT5 Ethernet for my 5 desktop PCs, but the long Ethernet
cables act as antennas... I couldn't afford the filters or the space to
bring
that many ferrites and cable loops to my 8-port switch.

I am wrestling with that now with an extensive CAT-5e wired home network.  I
have moved all the broadband routing equipment to my home office on the
other side of the house from the shack, but the S3-S5 noise is still
persistent.   Ferrites were placed on all cable ends and there is almost no
reduction in noise.  Proximity between the home wiring and the outdoor
antennas is a considerable factor.

I almost have too much invested to turn back now (mainly my time in a
130-degree attic a few summers ago).  I have the 802.11g up and running
anyway for when I want to roam the house with my laptop.   At some point, I
may need to bite the bullet and convert everything over to 802.11g just to
get past the cable radiation.

Paul, W9AC