Re: [Amps] transformer talk

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] transformer talk
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:39:27 +0000

TexasRF@aol.com wrote:

> I don't have the answer Bill but there is this to consider:
>
> In the capacitor filter, current only flows about 20% of the cycle. This is
> very much not a sine wave and I wonder how rms even applies in this case.
> There  has to be some terrific harmonics in that waveform!
rms applies to any waveform - if the voltage/current are sinusoidal,
then the 1.414 or .7071 factors apply. Where the waveform is a series of
short peaks, then there isn't a simple numerical factor to use - the rms
value has to be calculated by looking at data points over a time period,
or measured using something that does the equivalent electronically.

Your example of 5x the current for 1/5th the time leading to 5x the heat
is a much better way of getting the point across!

Steve