[Amps] Choke-input with voltage doubler?

To: amps@contesting.com (Amps)
Subject: [Amps] Choke-input with voltage doubler?
From: jkearman@att.net (Jim Kearman)
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 17:07:13 +0000
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>

>I've also been
> burned (both metaphorically and literally) by attractive looking big
> transformers which turn out to have been designed for use with choke
> input. Hook them onto a capacitor input PSU, and you get much less power
> than you were expecting, lousy regulation, and the smell of burning
> insulation.

My friend obtained a 1000-VCT brute of a transformer, weighs 25 lb. Old Chicago
Transformer, potted, looks mil-surplus. I assume it was made for a choke-input
filter. He wants to use the full secondary with a full-wave voltage doubler.
This will be for a linear that will be used for continuous-carrier DSB AM.
Looks as though two chokes would be required? Thanks.

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://kr1s.kearman.com/