Re: [Amps] Choke-input with voltage doubler?

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Choke-input with voltage doubler?
From: John Popelish <jpopelish@rica.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:35:36 -0500
Jim Kearman wrote:
>>You can also lower the peak factor on the windings by
>>adding a small inductance in series with the primary to spread out the
>>rectifier conduction time.
>

> What about using a small series-R from each half of the doubler? I think
> regulation is less of a factor here because most of the current will be
> continuous.

That is one way to lower the peak current.  But you get a slightly
cooler transformer if you create the same heat in a resistor in series
with the primary.  During the peak currents, the transformer primary
voltage will sag more, lowering the total flux swing the core handles,
so you keep both the copper and the core cooler.