[Amps] Applying power after many years - advice?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Applying power after many years - advice?
From: tf3kx@simnet.is
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:52:41 +0000
Hi:

I have an old TL-922A that hasn't been powered up for about 20 years. I am
about to get it going again, but would appreciate any advice before I apply AC
power and RF power.  Some of the things that come to mind to be aware of are...

a) Power supply electrolytic capacitors.  I can get an adjustable transformer
and slowly increase the mains voltage applied to the amplifier.  Wouldn't that
help in "reviving" those capacitors?  How slowly should I do this?  In how
small steps?

b)  The 3-500Z tubes.  Should I keep them in the amp while I apply power the
first time?  At any rate, is there anything I should look for once I start
applying supply power or RF power the first time?  Anything I can/should do to
check out with the tubes or to get them going in a proper way?

c)  Anything else I should look for or avoid, when I start getting the
amplifier going again?

73 - Kris, TF3KX