[Amps] Pin Diodes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Pin Diodes
From: Rob & Terri Sherwood <rob@sherweng.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 22:19:49 -0700
It is interesting that Alpha threw in the towel on PIN diodes with the
upcoming 9500.  Tech support told me the yield on a batch of diodes was
terrible, possibly as low as 30%.  That is a shame, as my Alpha 89
(manual-tune version of the 87A) has PIN diode switching, and is a
wonderful QSK amp.  I don't believe an amp with vacuum relay T/R
switching can be considered a full QSK amp.   Yet Alpha advertises the
99 and the 9500 as full QSK.   I run my 99 in semi-breakin only. How
long can a vacuum relay last in full QSK mode?   There must be a maximum
keying rate and a typical cycle life for anything mechanical.  Are they
banking on the fact that semi-breakin is usually adequate?