Re: [Amps] Bird accuracy, etc.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bird accuracy, etc.
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:31:54 -0500
Peter,

What I've found is there's a lot of meters out there just as good as, if not
better than a Bird 43. Bird uses the simple principle of using a strip line
(their term thru-line) to measure power. That's also the reason they have all
those different slugs for different bands as the stripline method isn't very
widebanded. A transformer type is more widebanded and accurate over a wider
bandspread than a stripline type. Even they have their band limits and the
toroid core material has to be changed when that happens. Some of the old Drake
Heathkit, and other meters that used the same method I've found just as
accurate. The "peak reading" ones without the true reading circuit merely added
a small electrolytic capacitor to charge up so the meter had time to read the
peak power so to speak. True peak circuits though use op-amps to measure it.
Philco had a peak reading meter that used tubes along with a thru-line
arrangement like Bird. I have one of those here. Still, if the meter face
  is off, or the meter itself not calibrated right on along with the percentage
allowed, they're not that accurate. A calorimeter as you mention is the closest
possible way to do this.

Best,

Will