Re: [Amps] Parasitic Suppressor 4-1000A

To: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Parasitic Suppressor 4-1000A
From: R@contesting.com;Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:18:47 -0800
On Mar 10, 2006, at 4:23 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:

> R; Measures wrote:

>>> I'm intruiged by this, and I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding
>>> something.
>>>
>>> As I understand it, the tube doesn't oscillate in isolation - it's a
>>> combination of several factors, including the impedance presented to
>>> the
>>> plate. At some frequency there's an impedance in the wiring from the
>>> plate to the tune-C and then to ground that allows oscillation.
>>> Knowing
>>> the frequency and impedance allows you to design a suppressor to
>>> prevent
>>> oscillation, but the frequency and impedance can vary a lot with wire
>>> lengths, component choices and layout - in which case, how can there
>>> be
>>> a specific design of suppressor for a particular tube?
>>

>> The optimal suppressor design is that which almost melts down the
>> suppressor resistor at 29MHz,
>
> I can see that gives you a 'standard' design for any given plate load
> impedance - not necessarily for a specific tube.

Heat dissipation at 29MHz is a fair indicator of whether or not it will
adequately suppress VHF energy.

> Depending on the frequency and excess gain to be killed, it might not
> be
> necessary to cook the suppressor at 29MHz to kill the oscillation.

If a VHF suppressor does not get hellishly hot at 29MHz, it is unlikely
to absorb energy above 30MHz .

>    Adding L increases dissipation at 29MHz,
>> decreases the parallel-equivalent resistance seen by the anode at its
>
> ..increases.. I think.

Z-meter tests show that more L-supp means less VHF RL at the anode, and
that means less VHF gain at the anode's self-resonant freq. --

For those who wish to calculate suppressor dissipation to within +/-
10% without integral calculus: April 1989, *QST* has an article titled
"Calculating Dissipation in  Parasitic Suppressor Resistors".

Rich Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.somis.org

Rich Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.somis.org