Re: [Amps] CHASSIS

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] CHASSIS
From: Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:20:09 -0800
On Mar 16, 2006, at 6:55 AM, R@contesting.com;Measures wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2006, at 6:22 AM, k7fm wrote:
>
>> "Amen, Arne, and plywood is stiffer pound for pound than metal.
>> During
>
> Birch is what the Hughes Hercules/Spruce Goose flying ship/boat was
> made of.
>>
>> What wood does not do is shield rf.

When I worked at Hughes, I ran some tests on one of the birch plywood
panels left over from the HK-1 to evaluate the r.f. properties.  I
don't recall the details (this was probably 35 years ago--someone
actually had an idea for another application) but, as would be
expected, the panel was somewhat lossy at microwave frequencies
(although it was definitely not a shield).

Bob Nielsen, N7XY