Re: [Amps] Unusual Solvent

To: HAROLD B MANDEL <ka1xo@juno.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Unusual Solvent
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:55:52 +0100 (CET)
I remember my father telling me that in about 1951, one of the local hams doing
military service abroad 'found' (how, I don't know) an SX28 (might have been a
SX28A)  that had been buried in sand somewhere in the middle east - possibly to
avoid paying for it under Lease Lend. Having got it back to the UK by some
devious means, the clean up process was to immerse it in Diesel fuel for 24
hours (his father was the manager of the local 'bus garage!), followed by 24
hours in kerosene, then a high pressure hose wash and an oven at about 160
degrees F. Apparently it worked fine after that.
I'd hesitate to do that to an SX28 today though, since 50 years on, the plastic
dials are probably much more fragile and likely to suffer - and the paint.
73
Peter G3RZP