Re: [Amps] Big transformer request TSPA

To: craxd1@verizon.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Big transformer request TSPA
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:42:48 EST

Hi All, just based on the dc voltages produced, not accounting for IR
losses, core losses,etc:

3000vdc .5A is 1500 watts delivered to the load. A choke  filter typically
delivers .9 times rms secondary voltage. Turning this  around, the transformer
would then have about 3000/.9 volts or 3333v rms. A  Capacitor type filter is
expected to deliver 1.414 times rms or 4713vdc (no  load). Assuming a voltage
drop of 500v, this leaves 4213vdc. Back to the same  1500w, this means a
current of 1500/4213 = .315 A. This is a ratio of 1.59 which  is pretty close
to the
stated derate factor.

There will be some extra heating due to higher IR losses in the copper wire
caused by the much higher peak currents in the filter C. After the microwave
oven discussion yesterday, it seems there might be some core heating (losses)
as  well due to these same high peak currents.

Just another way to look at the question.

73/k5gw

In a message dated 3/21/2006 6:54:25 P.M. Central Standard Time,