Re: [Amps] HP 3336B

To: <craxd1@verizon.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HP 3336B
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:35:38 -0500

Hi Will,

I don't know much about the 3336B other than I see it listed in the old HP
catalog along with the 3586C. I believe it can be slaved to the 3586.

It looks like a very precise synthesizer although the time base is nothing
to get excited about as it is their standard time base. 1 x 10 -6 is kind of
standard though. That is 1 cycle at 1 MHz. 10 cycles at 10 MHz. probably ok
for most stuff though.

Take a look at the HP3586C. It is a selective level meter with a similar
synthesizer in it. The front panel looks very similar to the 3336B.
The 3586C tunes from 10 Hz to 32 MHz. It is a receiver that can also be
switched to the counter mode and count the received carrier frequency. It
reads the input signal level out in DB to 2 decimal places!

The synthesizer can be programmed to move in any step size too. You can use
it to very easily look at intermod on an amp. Program the step size for the
modulation frequency separation you are using and it will instantly step to
2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc. order products. Same thing for harmonics.
The digital DB meter can be set to an offset also and you can directly read
out the DB down of the IM products without having to subtract the
fundamental level.

It is very accurate as a level meter. It also has a broad band mode where it
will count and lock onto any signal without tuning and read power level and
frequency. It makes a very nice power meter up to, if I remember right, +10
or +20 Dbm.

If that is not enough, it also has a tracking generator that comes out the
rear of the unit at 0 Dbm! It is always on the same frequency as the
receiver. With an outboard attenuator you have a very accurate signal level
generator that the calibration can be checked against by just piping it into
the input of the receiver and reading its level to 2 decimal places in DB!

The tracking generator is very nice for plotting narrow filters etc. You
always get a direct reading of response in Db.

The receiver has enough sensitivity for off the air measurements.
It only receives SSB, upper or lower, and you have to figure an offset of
around 1.5 KHz when demodulating ssb for frequency measurement. With a
carrier though it is direct reading for the frequency. The agc switches
relays so it is kind of poor to use as an off the air receiver for that
reason but you can lock it into a range and the level change will not
switch. It has 3 filters that come in handy especially when making intermod
measurements with close spaced tones.

There is an A, B and C model with different features. The C version has 50
ohms input and 600 ohms.

The best part is you can pick them up for under $150.00.

73
Gary  K4FMX