Re: [Amps] AM Downward Modulation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AM Downward Modulation
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:36:37 -0400
If your planning on running AM, there's a piece of test equipment made by B&K
that will help you tune an AM amp easy. The model B&K 1040 tester has a two
tone output into a small speaker which has a padded block of foam around it. It
is meant for the mic to be placed there and keyed. This will modulate the AM
carrier to tune your amp with. It has an adjustable output if I recall, plus
some other goodies like a watt meter and a swr meter. I'm not for sure what the
power rating is though on the watt meter or the internal dummy load. I'd
imagine it's not very much as it was designed to test CB's with, but it works
fine for any AM rig for this application. I built a small two tone outfit to
fit between the mic and the tranceiver. It has an adjustable level so you don't
over drive the rig and thus the amp. Those are very easy to make, and make
tuning a snap. Joe is right about AM, you tune for the PEP, not an unmodulated
carrier. Just make sure your PEP is not over 4X the carrier and your ok.

Best,

Will