Re: [Amps] AM Downward Modulation

To: "'Joe Isabella'" <n3ji@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AM Downward Modulation
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:10:33 -0400

When tuning up the amp for AM service you should tune it up just as you
would for SSB. As Joe says, using a keyer or just tuning for maximum output
with full drive.
Then reduce the carrier level  for 1/4 output power on the AMPLIFIER. Don't
touch any tuning on the amp again!

This is assuming that the amp takes the full 100 watts drive from the
exciter for full output power of the amp.
If it does not, then adjust drive and amplifier tuning for maximum power out
as you would tune for ssb operation. Then reduce carrier output for 1/4
power out of amp not the exciter.

73
Gary  K4FMX