Re: [Amps] Cal Lab

To: "W. E. Bailey" <ebailey@earthlink.net>,"Administrator" <amps@myrealbox.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Cal Lab
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:48:34 -0700
When I see home built amplifiers, one of my pet peeves is seeing a nice amp
with 4 or 5 different types of meters.  I have a supply of old 50 ua
radiation meters and I make new scales and shunts to use them as voltmeters,
ammeters and power meters.  We do not just go out and buy factory meters.
Therefore, we need to know how to make shunts, meter faces.  Another
critical thing, if your amplifier is not going to look like a piece of crap,
is blind fasteners.

I have been building amplifiers for 45 years and I learned quite a bit on
the blind nut discussion.

Frankly, I expect the amplifier discussions to push the envelope a bit.  How
do you test the amplfier for possible parasitic oscillations?  Do you
blindly install a Rich Measures piece of nichrome, or do you use a network
analyzer to find out where the circuit might oscillate and attack the
problem with science.  Network analyzers, grid dip meters, blind fasteners,
meter calibration, protecting the silicon diode and power line glitches are
all part of amplifier building and maintaining.

Otherwise, we can just buy an amp and send it back when it breaks.

Was my cat joke objectionable?

Colin   K7FM