Re: [Amps] tank coil heating

To: "Partain, Chuck" <Chuck_Partain@maxtor.com>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] tank coil heating
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 18:54:04 +0200
If you don't disconnect the parallel fixed padder across the C2 in the
Pi-network on 14 MHz,
you may end up in serious heating trouble, as well as using a very unsuitable
operating point for the PA tube.

The pi-network calculations for a tube this size calls for
a C2 in the order of 200 - 250 pF on 14 MHz for a loaded Q of 12.

600 pF results in a loaded Q in the range of  25 - 30, and the coil losses will
be in the order of
5 - 10 times higher than normal due to the fact that tank circuit losses are
proportional to the square of the circulating currents. They are in turn
proportional to loaded Q.

A doubled  loaded Q means 4 times higher coil losses.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM