Re: [Amps] adding second tube to AL1200

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] adding second tube to AL1200
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:55:38 -0700
On 17 May 2006 at 20:07, Bob Maser wrote:

> All of this proves my point about Ameritron amps.  They make the Heathkit
> amps of yesteryear seems Collinsesque.  When are you newcomer hams going to
> learn that anything that comes from MFJ is junk.  I'm sure the ARRRRGHL
> loves them because they spend a lot on advertising in their s--t magazine.

No need for all of this vitriol.  The point is, putting a second tube
in almost ANY amplifier, from ANY manufacturer, is not likely to be a
good idea.  That goes for Collins, Alpha, or whoever is our favorite.
 The reasons are many, as has been pointed out.  The amplifier was
designed with components to handle the single tube.  Why would they
put a double-sized power supply, double-sized filament transformer,
2x blower, oversized tank components, etc. in their amplifier?  That
would require a HUGE price increase.

Now whether the design and construction of amplifier "A" is better
than "B" is another question, and certainly open to debate, but I
don't personally believe that doubling up the tube complement in ANY
amplifier is a very good idea.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT