[Amps] vapor cooled reply TSPA

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] vapor cooled reply TSPA
From: "John T. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 21:26:24 -0600 (MDT)
Paul
While the Stanley Steamer article was novel and way cool (no pun
intended), doing a vapor phase cooled amplifier, for a few kW, is not
economically feasible nor recommended. Plain water cooling where you don't
boil it, is just fine to remove the sort of heat flux you can expect in
1500 watt tubes. When you get to where the limit of plate dissipation is
reached for a given flow, then concepts like vapor phase and multiphase
(without external condensor) make more sense. The anode cooler design
(pineapple is one way it is done) is very important, as well as the flow
to get enough turbulence. One preferred technique is to have locallized
vaporization of the coolant right in the anode fins, slots, cuts, but not
have a runaway condition. The subject is way more complicated that I can
recite here, but there are some decent old papers by various tube makers.

Headaches of vapor cooling include basically operating a water distillery
in your coolant circuit, so that you must start with very clean water, and
keep dissolved oxygen low (ppm) to prevent copper oxides from occuring and
ruining the heat transfer efficiency of the inside of the water
jacket/anode. If long life is important to your operation, you will need
to stay on top of ph, oxygen, and other factors which aren't as important
in conventional water cooling, and not at all with air cooling.

Just a free opinion. Why do it if it is so complicated? If you are trying
to remove 1000 watts/cm^2 in a copper anode, then it starts to really make
sense.

73
John
K5PRO