Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED

To: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:43:11 -0700
On May 31, 2006, at 8:50 AM, k7fm wrote:

> "True, however, prayer cloths are not all that reliable. The main
> reason for going after a parasite in the anode circuit is that it's
> where the damped wave VHF ringing takes place - whenever anode
> current changes - that starts the snowball rolling downhill."
>
> It is also possible that a parasitic suppressor is an admission of
> sloppy design work.  There are many amplifiers built using the 8877
> tube with no parasitic suppressors.  Can you imagine installing a
> parasitic suppressor into uhf cavity?  Perhaps you can make the
> entire cavity out of nichrome.

VHF and UHF amplifiers are inherently more stable because they do not
have two resonances in the anode circuitry.

> When designing an all band hf amplifier, it is probably easier to
> throw in a parasitic suppressor for the assumed
> natural frequency of oscillation in the existing structure than to
> use a network analyzer and a lot of effort to reduce the
> oscillations to a point where they no longer will occur.
>
> Rich talks about prayer cloths - but in fact his nichrome
> suppressor is acting as a prayer cloth.  This is a case of putting
> that in will make sure something bad will not happen.  It takes
> confidence in ones ability to build an amplifier without one -
> because they you are relying on your skill as a designer and
> builder - and expertise in measuring.

No divine assistance is needed to decrease VHF-Q.  Add R, Q drops,
the anode's parallel-equivalent R decreases, and VHF gain decreases.

> I have built amplifiers with and without parasitic suppressors and
> have had parasitics in both - but then again, I am only an amateur.

My novice-days 813 amplifier never had a parasite and it never had a
suppressor.

> 73,  Colin  K7FM

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734
r@somis.org