Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED

To: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:46:14 -0700
R L Measures wrote:

> Shorting the cathode-grid tuned-input of a g-g amplifier shorts the VHF
> feedback path that supports parasites.

They are talking about a grid-driven amplifier with link-coupled input
and output.  I think their idea is that the VHF grid circuit is formed
by the inductance of the grid tuning capacitor's frame and stray
capacity to ground.  As far as VHF is concerned, the grid tank coil is
already shorted by the low reactance of the grid tuning capacitor, so
putting a jumper across it won't affect the VHF behavior much.

> With the feedback path shorted, the amplifier is sure to be stable.  As
> I see it, this procedure is some dude's fable.

They've shorted the HF tuned circuit in the grid, but not the VHF one.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco