Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 09:41:22 -0400
Colin,

When I was in the service work, and built those with both sweep tubes, large
glass bottles, or steel, I seen them act differently from one to another even
though they were the same design each time. Sweep tubes especially as they
first don't have as tight of QC as broadcasting tubes, plus they have high
interelectrode capacitances, etc with high gain. The capacitance and high gain
have a lot to do with the oscillation problems. Keep in mind most of the ones I
built were grid driven also where the circuit gain is higher yet. Every now and
then I would get a stinker though and I would observe how they acted and why. I
even found that if tubes were mounted too close together using sweep tubes it
contributed to this. Another manufacturer tried to make a 4 tube version like
mine using M-2057 tubes which they never could get to operate correctly. It
would come into self-oscillation on and off no matter what they did. I used the
same design, but spaced the tubes out farther by about
  1 inch, and the beast was as stable as it could be. I mentioned this to the
owner of the company down in Memphis and he about dropped over what the cure
was. With them, they tried to use pre-punched chassis used for several
different models. Because of this, and where thy tried to cram as many tubes in
a small space, the tube spacing was about 1/2-3/4" apart. I moved them out a
good 1 to 1-1/2" and that corrected it. I also found problems in the large
glass and steel tubes too. Especially when using multiple tubes. The reason I
used parasitic supressors on all was over one thing. What if you had a stinker
out of say every 10 that wasn't? The customer would get the amp and you get a
bad rap over a squirelly amp. The manufacturer figures that it's better to
install them in every amp and not take a chance than to let a stinker go out
and cost business.

Concerning the SB-220, I always did think part of the cause was where they
mounted the input tuned circuit at the front of the amp close to the output
tank (even thought they tried to shield it). Also, they used a lot of coax to
connect the antenna relay. To me, the relay should have been right at the coax
connectors in the rear. The input tuned circuits should have been between this
and the tubes, and be mounted as close as possible. That would have left only
one coax run from Load C to the relay. They did the input this way over cost so
they didn't have to have a long shaft selector switch going to the input
circuits. They could have still put the antenna relay at the coax connectors
though, but they mounted the thing in the middle of the amp. Why they did this
is beyond me. I was always taught to keep all leads as short as possible, and I
think this kind of looked past that rule.

Best,

Will