Re: [Amps] Dual 4-1000A cooling question...

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dual 4-1000A cooling question...
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:05:15 -0400
Ken,

Below is a link to a webpage that describes insulation and how to figure the
maximum temperature. In your case, your reading 190 deg F (87.7 deg C) on the
outside of the fan motor. Where it counts more is at the mean turn in the
winding or it's middle deep inside. You can be assured it's higher there and
the wire temperature is what we worry about, or its insulation along with the
paper or plastic layer insulation is if it has any. In your case, I doubt it
has layers as most shaded coil motor coils are jumble wound on a plastic
bobbin. In the middle of this coil is the actual heat you have to worry about.
I'll about bet you can raise that temperature another 40 to 50 degrees F for a
total of say 230 deg F or 110 deg C. Now the motor should be designed to run in
an ambient temperature of 40 deg C (104 deg F) with a premissable temperature
rise according to the maximum temperature of the insulation class. You can see
this on the webpage listed below.

NEMA Insulation Classes;

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/nema-insulation-classes-d_734.html

Best,