Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:39:39 -0400
It's according to what kind of audio amp. Guitar amps are designed to purposely
introduce distortion. That's where the squeal of the electric guitar comes
from. The bands actually prefer this. However, if one is an engineer, and you
have a maximum rating curve, it is a liability to ever go outside the curve
into the over load region. That's like saying I'll put my stamp on this bridge
which I know is going to deflect more than allowable published tolerances, and
that I think it can get by with the added stress, even though I am over the
maximum curves for tensile and yield strength. Then an automobile drives over
it and falls in the river. Who's liable? Whether electrical or mechanical
engineering, an engineer should always look at this. Though running a tube out
of spec probably wont kill anyone, the manufacturer better be ready to replace
tubes or the entire amp if the customer is dissatisfied as a suit will sure
follow if they don't. If ran in spec, one has nothing to worr
 y about, and has published data to fall back on. This from an engineers point
of view.

Best,

Will