Re: [Amps] Serious transformer problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Serious transformer problem
From: Borislav Trifonov <bdt@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:08:05 -0700
The thing is, these were initially identical transformers, I just took
them apart and replaced the secondaries.  There's no difference between
the cores.

Since they do draw the same current from the mains when secondaries are
open, I guess can't be the shield shorted.

I don't see how gapping could be the issue, since the laminations are
interleaved, Es and Is switching place every other layer; the gapping
varies a bit this way due to me manually reassembling them, but again,
putting a squeeze in the vice makes very little difference, 5% not 100%.

I'm interested in your partially magnetized core suggestion.  How can I
check for that, or demagnetize it?

Will Matney wrote:
> Borislav,
>
> I know you've answered some of the following questions below, but I'm adding
> all I can think of to help. Does both transformers have the same amount of
> iron in them? Is the laminations the same size? Are the laminations the same
> thickness? Are you sure both have the same number of turns in the secondary?
> Is the iron type different between the two possibly (this really shouldn't
> make a huge difference in the inductance though unless one has something
> added in the iron which impedes the magnetic flux adding more reluctance).?
> Transformer iron doesn't vary as much as does ferrite, or iron powder where
> you have different AL factors unless it may be something like Permedure, etc.
> Could one core be partially magnetized? If the shield were shorted of course
> you would have a low voltage, high current short for what ever one turn
> equals out to in voltage by using the turns per volt figure. When you applied
> current to the primary, you would sure know it as it would be a big hum and
should blow a fuse, etc. I would definately double check this! Any short
generally acts this way.