Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A
From: "W.F van Wyk" <zs6arf@telkomsa.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 12:40:28 +0200
Thanks Peter.

That is what I usually aim at when I construct ... about a kW out but I have
gone to considerable trouble and expense acquiring spectrum
analyzer/communication analyzer and other test equipment to ensure I can
test what I build.

Our ZS regulation limits output on SSB to 400W PEP so my approach is a kW
designed amp running at 400W that will be supportive of linearity and
limited strain on the components.

The Russian GS-75B etc surely is lovely tubes but a waste with the ZS 400W
limit, so I stay with the older glass tubes I have plenty stashed away.

For me linearity, spurious, RFI, splatter etc is critical as any homebrew
linear I build and run need to be correctly designed and neighborhood
friendly. WE are already in ZS in a grey area of owning equipment capable of
more than 400W so the last think we need is the regulator having to enforce
the regulations because we are not able to utilize our equipment competently
and that is why I cringe when I hear those claims locally of more than 800W
on a single 4-250A.

I that enjoy designing and building and are responsible about it can be
compromised because some "hung ho" fellows want to be the loudest around!

73

Wynand (ZS6ARF)