Re: [Amps] again

To: "Amps Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] again
From: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 09:32:01 -0500
This question,

"There clearly are individuals on this reflector who are more
knowledgeable than me, so I will ask this question again, but in a
differently worded form.  How does the impedance of the PA tank affect
the over-all efficiency of the amplifier? W8JI said yesterday that a
tank whose impedance is, say 2100 ohms, and connected to a Pa with a
calculated load impedance of 1333 ohms would produce a very efficient PA
but it would have poor linearity.  BUT, what happens to efficiency if
the tank impedance matches the load impedance?   Again, how does the
impedance of the PA tank affect the over-all efficiency of the
amplifier?  Inquiring minds want to know."

Hi,

I think your question is of a much more elementary nature than others
have assumed it to be. In the case of a  typical tank circuit having
typical operating Q of say 12, when you adjust C1 and C2 for maximum
output, you are indeed adjusting for an impedance match of the tube and
the load and for maximum efficiency all at the same time without
consciously or deliberately thinking about it.

73,   Roy    K6XK