Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A
From: "wc6w@juno.com" <wc6w@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 03:55:06 GMT
Hi David,
  A data point.

  The Kahn envelope restoration scheme is best employed for low duty
cycle signals, like SSB, and employing tubes that were happy in plate
modulated AM service.  Their power out to plate dissipation ratio was
typically 4-1.

  RTTY, CW and modern oxide cathode tubes with fragile grids are not
valid options.

  To those who've drifted, my apologies for an "original topic"
poating.

73 & Good evening,
  Marv WC6W

http://wc6w.50webs.com/

-- "David G4FTC" <g4ftc@hotmail.com> wrote:

I've been following the thread and have an observation which I
haven't seen
anyone else mention.

Most professional linears (or up-market amateur units) have a rated
rf
output the same as the anode dissipation of the tube, i.e. a 1500
watt
output amplifier will use tube(s) with an anode dissipation of ~1500
watts.

Of course more power out can be obtained from a given tube in low
duty cycle
modes, but for high duty cycle modes such as RTTY, JT65 etc., it
doesn't
seem an unreasonable yardstick when designing an amp.

David G4FTC