Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, Gudguyham@aol.com,kdutson@sbcglobal.net, w4tv@subich.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 11:13:26 -0700 (PDT)
I'm only going to say that to dismiss something solely because "it's always
been that way" is a terribly closed minded way to look at something.  I'm fully
aware of why ~200-3.4k was chosen (as I mentioned before) -- it was the best
trade-off between speech intelligibility and network resources.  This is not in
dispute!!  I also fully realize that when you use a narrow BW, the noise floor
drops proportionately.  What *I'm* saying is that when you give the distant end
a little more than 400-2.4k, say up to 3, 3.3 or 3.4k, even when they are using
a narrow receive BW, it's logical to conclude that they have more there to hear
through the mess.  In my (admittedly non-scientific) experimentation, that's
what I have found.  It works very well for me, and I think there's something to
it.  To morph a phrase from Rich, "Mo' narrower ain't necessarily mo' better".
I would also be the last one to tell you that "pumped up bass and extended
highs" are better in high QRM/QRN band
 conditions.  This is separate than wanting to be able to enjoy full-range QSOs
in non-crowded bands, and the mechanics of how extended BW improves
intelligibility *in good S/N conditions* (which is simple common sense to me).
Let's try to keep the two separated.  Again, there is a time & place for each.
And to claim Bell's research as a reason to use 400-2.4k is off-base since the
typical telephone system channel is ~200-3.4k or 3.2k total BW based on the
same research.  Which, oddly enough isn't too far from what I found works well
for me in high QRM/QRN conditions.  Go figure.

Anyway, I'm off to get that analyzer to capture some data on wider speech BW on
my rig's RF performance.

73,
Joe, N3JI