Re: [Amps] QEX Innovative Tube Linear?

To: g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] QEX Innovative Tube Linear?
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:07:29 -0400
Peter,

Yes, your correct. You can run them above the design-maximum ratings. However,
when they go poof, the manufacturer wouldn't back them up, nor would a bunch of
suppliers at the time. There was a few ham manufacturers who made what supposed
to be a 1 kW input amp using 4 6JE6's, and ran the plate voltage upwards of
1200 Vdc. When the tubes went poof prematurely, the user had no place to turn.
I guess they figured back then that as cheap as the tubes were, buying 4
wouldn't be a problem (6JE6's were about $8-$10 each US in quantity). If they
had ran them at a lower voltage, say 900 Vdc, and used about 6 tubes instead of
4 for the 1 kW input, they would have had a good service life. Raising the
plate voltage, as you know increases the amplification, so that was needed to
get 1 kW input out of 4 tubes. I've seen 6JE6 tubes ran at 750 Vdc with good
linearity. The tube manufacturer wouldn't have backed the 6JE6 tube anyhow in
RF service, but would have the two I mentioned earlier. T
 he suppliers warrantied them though, but after finding out what they were
being used for, refused to warranty them. Radio Shack was one case. The problem
here was a few amp manufacturers tried to make an amp as cheap as possible, not
caring about tube life, which is my opinion of course.

Best,

Will