Re: [Amps] Switching Power Supplies

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Switching Power Supplies
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:01:06 -0400
See below;

On 7/14/06 at 9:48 PM Tom W8JI wrote:

>> Why don't you ask these folks:
>>
>> http://www.wattsunlimited.com/
>>
>> Surely one of you have disected this thing already.  No,
>> it's not a good supply for a "tube with handles", but it's
>> pretty cool for what it is...
>

>17% no load to full load regulation isn't so hot Joe. I'm
>not sure how that would be for IM products or CW waveform
>since power out is generally about the square of supply
>voltage change. The CW waveform would look funny with that
>much sag.

The Heathkit 220 and a few other models had around 15% regulation which is
right on the edge of
saturation (they ran a high flux density to save on weight and cost). They
don't saturate, but under full
load they're cutting it pretty close. A good stiff power supplies sag will be
around 11% to 13% typically.
I always use 12% when I'm figuring the DC voltage needed from a transformer.

>As for faults, the problem faced by a supply near the
>negative rail, especially one with a grounded screen, is a
>HV to ground fault dumps crap back into the supply. Most
>supplies are pretty good at running into shorts, but they
>are almost always terrible about handling reverse applied
>voltages from supplies hundreds of times higher in voltage.

It's best to switch a transformer instead of using a choke in this instance.
Any HV DC coming back
would be isolated from the switching transistors/FET's, and their drive or
oscillator. If it were me, I'd
use a converter circuit for the supply.

>73 Tom

Best,