Re: [Amps] Switching Power Supplies

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Switching Power Supplies
From: David Smith <vk3hz@wia.org.au>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:25:09 +1000

>  I can't imagine why an amateur would want to use a
> switching supply for a filament. What reason is there to do
> that?

I use a switching supply to run the filament of a GS35b in a 70cm amp
for several reasons:

1. The filament volts should be backed off a little to allow for
additional heating due to back-bombardment.  The switcher has a pot for
voltage adjustment - easy!

2. The switcher is regulated - good for field days when the genny is
wandering a little and you've set the volts "just so", as per (1).

3. The switcher is current limited, reducing the current surge at switch
-on.  Check the surge current that a nice, low-impedance toroidal
transformer is capable of delivering to a cold filament and you might be
rather shocked.

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ