Re: [Amps] Switching Power Supplies

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Switching Power Supplies
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:07:01 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
"I can't imagine why an amateur would want to use a
switching supply for a filament. What reason is there to do
that?"

There could be a few reasons:
1. The amp has to be transported and weight is an issue.
2. There are no suitable transformers available and a surplus switching supply
is handy.
3. Real power transformers cost money and the amp builder is almost penniless
and a switching supply is given to him.
4. The builder, in true amateur spirit, likes to complicate something simple.
5. Just wants to see if it can be done.

I have the Icom 751A with a built in supply.  It does just as Tom says.  People
on frequency do not complain about the hum - but the white noise off frequency
is substantial.  This is definitely a rig that neighboring hams do not
appreciate.

Colin  K7FM