Re: [Amps] High frequency heater supplies

To: "W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] High frequency heater supplies
From: "m.ford" <k1ern@pioneerwireless.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:12:51 -0400
From: "W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>
To: "'Steve Thompson'" <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>; <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 11:29 AM

> We have been finding issues using switching power supplies on commercial
> 2-way radio base stations and repeaters.
> The spurs are spread up and down the band at the intervals of the
> switching frequency. This causes lots of interference. Although the
> spurs are low, (40-50dB down), they are still a problem when you are
> trying to receive close to an affected transmitter.
>
> After replacing the switching supply with a linear regulation supply
> (Astron) the problems go away.
>

> I wonder how many problems that switching power supplies are causing on
> the HF bands?
>
> 73
> Jim W7RY

Hi Jim,

    I just tossed the one that came with my Alvarion Breeze ACCESS 900 mhz
wireless internet transciever. A 5 volt dc , 2 amp wall wart with a  3 prong
plug.
It was S9 50 feet away from the shack all the way up to 8 mhz.

    I autopsied the thing. It was so full of components I decided to not waste
my
time drawing it out. There was a pretty good investment in parts there. I don't
see the savings other than weight.

    The transciever now runs on a  dedicated HP 6433B.

Mike k1ern