Re: [Amps] Switching Power Supplies

To: "Ian White GM3SEK" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Switching Power Supplies
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:53:48 -0400
> In Field Day use, with more than one station hooked up to
> the same
> generator, there can be violent swings in the line voltage
> as stations
> switch unpredictably between transmit and receive. A
> regulated
> filament/heater supply could prevent damage due to
> insufficient cathode
> temperature.

The cool down time is about the same as the warm up time
Ian, momentary sags wouldn't hurt a thing. Personally, I'd
use a constant voltage transformer if  it was that big of a
deal. If I used a switcher or a current regulated/limited
supply, I'd extend the warm up time to be safe if the
filament supply was current limited.

73 Tom